2019 College World Series
Congratulations to the Vanderbilt Commodores, your 2019 National Champions of the College Baseball world!
Vanderbilt became the fourth school in five years to win the national title after dropping the first game of the CWS finals by beating Michigan 8-2 in Game 3. After winning the national title in 2014, this is Vanderbilt’s second College World Series title in four appearances in Omaha and second title in six years.
After Michigan took an early 1-0 lead in the top of the 1st, Vanderbilt answered by scoring six unanswered runs in the next 3 innings to take a 6-1 lead in the 4th. Vanderbilt tacked on another run in each the 7th and 8th innings while only allowing one run to Michigan in the 7th to win Game 3 with a commanding score of 8-2.
Kumar Rocker, pitcher for Vanderbilt, was named the Most Outstanding Player of the 2019 College World Series. He finished with a 2-0 record in Omaha and struck out 11 batters in a Game 2 Vanderbilt victory. Additionally, 11 players were selected to the all-tournament team following the completion of the final series. The full all-tournament team goes as follows:
- Catcher: Philip Clarke, Vanderbilt
- First base: Jimmy Kerr, Michigan
- Second base: Ako Thomas, Michigan
- Third base: Austin Martin, Vanderbilt
- Shortstop: Jack Blomgren, Michigan
- Outfield: JJ Bleday, Vanderbilt
- Outfield: Drew Campbell, Louisville
- Outfield: Jesse Franklin, Michigan
- DH: Cam Warren, Texas Tech
- Pitcher: Tommy Henry, Michigan
- Pitcher: Kumar Rocker, Vanderbilt
Vanderbilt finished the season with an outstanding 59-12 record, which is an SE record for wins in a season. Michigan was close behind with a solid 50-22 record on the season. In case you missed the exciting finale to the 2019 College World Series, here is a video highlighting Vanderbilt’s victory in Game 3. Enjoy!